Fostering in Lewisham
There are different types of foster placements available. Parent and child placements offer the opportunity to help a young parent learn essential skills to look after their self and child. There are also placements that require a home for sibling groups. These are in great demand within Lewisham and can be a hugely rewarding type of placement. Keeping siblings together in their placements is hugely beneficial to the young people involved. At OwnLife Fostering, the majority of the children that we care for are over the age of ten and generally teenagers.
Become a Professional Partner with us:
- OwnLife foster carers are supported 24/7
- Professional allowance and financial support package to cover all of the costs of fostering a child/young person
- Training, learning and ongoing professional development
- Support groups
- Therapeutic support
Get in touch now
How to Become a Foster Carer in Lewisham
Becoming a foster carer in Lewisham is simple:
1. Complete our enquiry form.
2. We’ll contact you within 24 hours. In this phone call, we’ll discuss fostering as a career opportunity for you and answer any questions you have. We’ll also arrange an initial meeting in our office and organise a time for a home visit. This is an opportunity to talk in depth about becoming a foster carer and what it entails.
3. After the home visit, we’ll assign a social worker to you who will start the formal process of becoming a foster carer. This involves 6-8 visits to your home and a 3-day training session. OwnLife Fostering aims to have the whole process completed in roughly 8 weeks.
4. The final stage in becoming a foster carer is for you and your assigned social worker to attend a fostering panel for consideration of approval. After this, you are ready to start your new career in foster care.
The most important thing is that you have what it takes to inspire children and young people to own and take control of their own lives, and the determination to never give up.
To find out more about Fostering in Lewisham, contact us. At Ownlife Fostering, there’s a type of fostering to suit you.
Fostering in Lewisham
As a London Borough since 1965 and a population of just under 300,000 Lewisham is a very diverse area offering plenty of foster opportunities for people of all ethnicity.
Reading this you have a clear interest in learning what it requires to become a foster carer. Many People come to fostering for different reasons, whether you may want to make a difference to society or you may want to experience the amazing bond that can form between you and a child or young person. You can be sure fostering in Lewisham will be a challenging and rewarding experience.